Need some help choosing which freediving course to take, or are you planning ahead and wondering what you need to bring to your freediving event? Have a look at these FAQs, but if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please feel free to get in touch here!
We offer different types of courses and can even customise courses to your specific needs. If you are unsure, please get in contact!
Here are some general guidelines to help you navigate our courses:-
- FREEDIVING TASTER:- Best suited to those who have little to no ocean experience, and are interested in learning a little more about freediving and breath-holding
- PADI CERTIFIED FREEDIVER COURSE: Ideal for anyone with a little ocean experience who wants to learn to freedive, or improve their existing freediving skills. This is also the best starting point for spearfishers and surfers wanting to build their breath-hold.
- PADI ADVANCED FREEDIVER - This is for students who are already certified freedivers and have been training since their initial freediving course.
Freediving is a sport for anyone to get involved in. You don't need to be an athlete, a scuba diver, or a natural water baby. We will learn the skills to help you build your ocean confidence and freediving skills from zero.
However, there are some minimum requirements to help keep you safe in the water:
- The minimum age is 16, and we need a parent/guardian signature for under 18s
- You must be able to swim 200m in water
- There's a medical form to complete before the course begins to make sure you have no pre-existing serious conditions. If you do have any conditions, we will ask you to get permission from your doctor before freediving
- We can't let you freedive if you have scuba-dived within the previous 24h
Freediving is growing at a huge rate, and there are more freediving courses in Sydney than ever before. It can be hard to choose the best freediving course, as there are so many out there, and each freediving school in Sydney has its own style.
Here is what you can expect from Immersia Freediving:
- Truly Beginner-Friendly- We pride ourselves on creating the most approachable, accessible and authentic courses available in Australia. We know what it's like to be out of your comfort zone, and so we don't bullshit you, and we don't tolerate egos.
- Bondi Beach Locals - we're at the centre of the freediving community in the Eastern Suburbs and we will connect you into it. Every student is added to our Facebook Group and welcome to attend our training sessions + fun-dives.
- Continuing Your Journey - we can help you make freediving a lifestyle. We're the only freediving school in Sydney offering regular training and social dives to keep you wet.
- Get The Shot - We offer professional photo packages for your course
- The Gear - We can provide all gear excluding wetsuits. We don't think it's fair to ask you to buy fancy gear before your first course!
Here are the values that you'll find across all courses and training:
- IT'S YOUR OWN JOURNEY - Your strengths, struggles and reasons for being freediving are your own, and our courses are environments without judgement or pressure.
No assholes here.
- HAPPIER > DEEPER - We want to help you find your 'happy' underwater, whatever that means. It's not all about depth or time.
- SAFETY BEFORE STYLE - Safety is kinda unsexy, but it is VERY important. Our freediving instructors are also first aid instructors, and we follow strict standards for keeping our students and team safe.
- DON'T SH*T WHERE YOU EAT - Freediving in Sydney's beautiful ocean lets us experience nature in a way most people never will. We try to leave it better than we found it.
Find out more about your instructor, our values and philosophy.
For line training and pool training, all divers must have one of the following certifications or equivalent
- AIDA 2
- Molchanovs W1
- PADI Freediver
- Apnea Australia Stage A
- SSI L1
If you want to join pool training but have not yet completed a certification, get in touch and we can talk!
- Mask and snorkel
- Fins (snorkelling/scuba fins are ok, but freediving fins are better)
- Full-body wetsuit - at least 3mm thick; ideally 5mm. If you have a proper freediving wetsuit, 3.5mm+ should be fine!
- Weight belt and weights
All gear is available for rent excluding wetsuits. When you book a course you'll be able to add gear hire, and we can suggest a place to rent a wetsuit!
- Towel (I suggest bringing 2 towels)
- Refillable water bottle
- Go-Pro (optional)
We will break for a quick lunch. There are lots of cafes around to buy food, or feel free to bring your own.
- We send out forms and access to the PADI online system before we start the course. This e-learning needs to be completed before we get in the water!
- Eat a healthy breakfast, but don't go crazy on food before diving!
- Avoid coffee/stimulants before diving - it will make it really hard to hold your breath!
- Browse the blog and get inspired! There are some simple, beginner-level articles on how freediving works and the basics of equalisation
- Chill and don’t worry about the course 🙂 It will be a lot of fun.
We offer private training, experiences and full certification courses for up to 4 people.
If you have a group of friends who want to take a course or experience together, get in touch and we will work something out. We can even tailor the event to your experience and goals.
Commitment problems? We get it.
Each course has its own cancellation policy which you can find on the booking pages.
Lots of our students want to try out a short taster course before committing to the full PADI Certified Freediver Course.
If you join a taster course and love it (we think you will), you can enroll in a 'catch up' within 12 months and finish your PADI Certification in one day!